Tasks St. Anthony found for me
In the summer of 1972, I was an editorial intern at St. Anthony Messenger. Associate Editor Father Norman Perry, OFM, asked me to write the monthly St. Anthony column, a short reflection based on a quote from his sermon notes.
My first column appeared in August 1972; that series concluded with the December 1979 issue. In the meantime, I had finished three more years of theology and been ordained a priest. I have also:
• written St. Anthony of Padua: Wisdom for Today (1976);
• helped select graphics and texts for the photo mural at St. Anthony Shrine in Cincinnati (June 1979);
• preached there about him many times;
• helped organize the Shrine’s conference “Anthony of Padua; Preacher, and Friend of the Poor” (1981);
• visited his basilica in Padua (1982);
• given several radio interviews about him; and
• written “125 Years and Still Going Strong,” placing St. Anthony Messenger within its civic and Church context (published May 2018).
Now I am wondering: What is the next task St. Anthony will find for me?
(Fr. Pat McCloskey, OFM, is the Franciscan Editor of Franciscan Media.)
Pray the Novena to St. Anthony of Padua here.
Sign up here to receive this year’s weekly email prayers during the Solemn Novena in Honor of St. Anthony: April 13 through June 8.